..and in my father-in-laws case the all the tests show that he has Vitamin B12 deficiency.
All G.'s symptoms - extreme fatigue, irritability, depression, character changes and loss of memory and understanding - have come from his very poor diet. He's fallen into a cycle of being quite aggressive about avoiding food too.
Fortunately, we understand that this can be treated with injections and supplements.
We hope that the injections may trigger his appetite again and there won't be too much long term damage. (G. ate an entire Weatherspoon's big breakfast AND apple crumble while he was on holiday with us in November, so there's hope!)
Mark and P. are also talking regularly, which is keeping the 'bigger picture' of family relationships calmer too. As a result, I feel a lot less anxious and stressed about this area of our life!
It's been a bit of a crazy week though...
- My beloved Series 2 Discovery is ill again. (Solution - borrow Dad's sporty old Nissan 200SX and enjoy the twin turbos... Woop, woop!)
- I spent four hours at Accident and Emergency yesterday afternoon with a friend who had major heart surgery 18 months ago. (Outcome - the pain wasn't his heart, just the muscles/bones in the chest cavity... what a relief!)
- Dad's asthma is really bad again and he's spending a lot of time at the doctors. (Positive - he's finally working with a doctor at the surgery who seems prepared to put a more systematic review and long-term action plan in place. Now I've just got to encourage Dad to be honest about the challenges of being Mum's carer and the correlation between her 'bad days' and his own health)
- We're having the conservatory replaced next week. I really need to start clearing it...
In the meanwhile...
- I want to send niece L. back to uni with some 'pocket warmers'. I haven't started them yet and I'm having a coffee with her late tomorrow morning. She goes back on Saturday. Eeek!
- I'm somewhere over halfway through the lacy knitted scarf that I'm making for my friends birthday... next Tuesday. Eeek, eek!!!
- I've also been enjoying loads of lovely social chats. I'm off again in half and hour to pick up the Nissan and drive to Redditch for a gossip with an ex-colleague.
How did I find time to work???!