Thursday 26 January 2017

This Week.. A Miscellany

 
Thomas, my beloved elderly cat, had to go back to the vets for another check up.
Last year we came very close to losing him in May to an overactive thyroid.
He was ill again in November, when the vet recommended that we 'tweak' his medication.

 
The good news is that he's stable again, has put on a bit of weight and his heart sounds good.
Hopefully he'll be with us for a while longer yet.  He came to us as a young cat but he's always been tiny so we're not sure of his exact age.. I hope that he'll be one of those cats who goes on for years because he's certainly lives a life of pampering, adoration and indulgence!
 
Here's the 'little prince'...
 
 
Things have moved on quickly at Mum and Dad's house.
They were lucky to be offered an 'ex-demo' lift which the company had used at a trade show.
This came at a preferential price (although still not a cheap option!) and moves the project forward without much of a waiting time.  It looks like they'll have the lift installed in a few weeks.  I've promised that I'll make plenty of time available next week to move stuff around with Dad.
 
At the same time, I'm project managing several jobs that are taking place here.
We got a really good deal on some new carpet, which is going to be laid in the hall, stairs, landing, lounge, dining room and conservatory.  It's one of those super-hardwearing, stain-resistant carpets (that is really needed when you've got someone with HD in the family).  It will also much smarter now that I'm working from home.
 
AND we're going to have a new front and back door installed.
 
AND we've got a roofer to come a fix the leaks in the roof.
 
AND I've got a price to replace the entire top of the conservatory - which has also been leaking and generally showing it's age.
 
We haven't just had a lottery win.  It's just that we bought the house when it was brand new 22 years ago.  We've been able to 'live lightly' with the carpets, white goods and other fixtures since then.  The roof should have been fixed several years ago but we 'got by' with a tarpaulin in the loft....  Now that I'm at home most of the time - and can be flexible about access for the builders etc - we can finally get some of the jobs sorted.
 
It's a little bit scary because I've never done this sort of thing before...
but I can't wait to get all the stuff that's been irritating me sorted!!
 

8 comments:

  1. I hate the thought of workmen coming around, but afterwards everything will look so good and new, especially the carpet. I hope it all goes smoothly for you, and love the addition of photos in your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it'll be worth the upheaval, you'll feel like you're in a new house afterwards xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your refreshed house. We are in that stage but longer-lived here 26 years and lots of TLC is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a lot of tea making! It is a faff to deal with it all, but it's worth it. I don't blame you having things done all at once having all the upheaval at the same time makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the problem when everything's new at the same time, it all ends up needing replacing at the same time further down the line. It's such a worry when our pets become ill, I do hope that the medication can keep Thomas going for a long time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've lost count of the number of workmen I've had to deal with over the years; roofers, builders, plasterers, electricians, gas fitters, window fitters and plumbers. I can't say having them in and around the house gets any easier though.
    Thomas is such a beautiful boy. I'm glad he has rallied.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is very good you have been able to get by without repairs. We are despairing of finding a nice, spacious, affordable house. We could get a 6bedroom town house in Northumberland for the price of a measly 3 bedroom house with titchy garden! Hurrah that Thomas is ok.xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting my blog Jan. I wish you luck and a lot of patience being the project manager of all your renovations. It will be well worth it at the end though!

    ReplyDelete