Wednesday 14 January 2015

Frugal Fiend!

At the moment I am saving as much as possible from my salary to create a financial buffer for my change in career.   In December I blogged about my plans to live on a set amount, paying myself a cash sum each week that was based on my average monthly spending to date.


I guess there's plenty of you out there that know this already - but what an interesting process it's been for me!  By sticking religiously to the 'cash only' rule AND writing down every penny I spend, money has stopped dribbling through my fingers.  An unexpected side effect of this is that I'm actually more appreciative of the things that I have decided to invest in - lunch for myself and Mark at the local garden centre; one bought coffee and hot chocolate during a winter walk rather than regular tea shop stops...  The rest of the time I just pack sandwiches, so we've enjoyed some fabulous winter picnics too.


I'm particularly proud of last weekend's frugal credentials... 
On Saturday I walked to Worcester - free; I visited the WW1 Memorial Exhibition at the City Museum and Art Gallery - free; I walked down to the Library and sussed out some materials in their local history section - free; I bought myself a treat of some yoghurt coated peanuts - £1 from Poundland (but I'm still nibbling on them four days later).
On Sunday we parked the car on Hartlebury Common and did a six mile walk - free; we enjoyed a winter picnic - cheaper than a tea-shop stop; we also enjoyed some quality time with my parents - which made me feel even better!


On Monday Mark and I celebrated 30 Years since our first date.  I made him a card with the words "30 Years... Doesn't time fly when you're having fun!"  It's true - most of the time we have lots of fun together.  It's only the external stresses of work (and occasional health issues) that 'rock the boat' from time to time.


I hope that you are all having a good week.  Jx

10 comments:

  1. It's surprising how frugally you can live if you have to or choose to. Tea and coffee shops can be expensive and it doesn't always stop at beverages either. There is so much out there too and as you say most of it is free. Congratulations on your 30th year anniversary of your first meeting. :)) P x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few coffee and cakes out soon add up. We almost always take a flask now must have saved a fortune.
    Free outings are the best

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I didn't work when the kids were young, we used to have a list of places that we could go for free. I enjoy the challenge of frugality. Makes you realise how much cash just trickles out of your account too xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. SUCH a good idea! I must do, I seem to be spending like it's being discontinued!
    Congratulations on the 30 years! Can we see the card please!?x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! Is Mark a willing participant in counting every penny? That's what I am up against every time I want to stop the leaks. Hubby won't cooperate at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with you. Living on cash ad physically watching it disappear from your purse makes you think twice. Plastic is so easy and too easy. You're in the right frame of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. cash only is the house rule here, its amazing, I dont know why I didn't do it sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My ancestor's and Daddy lived all their lives with cash only. Of course, they were very capable of repairing their farm equipment, but Daddy always said, "If you want something, you save your money until you can afford to buy it." It's a very good practice--so is keeping track of every cent spent!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm grateful for our senior citizen free bus/tram passes that we can use during off peak hours. It's a real help in getting into the city to those interest groups, museums, art galleries, parks and gardens that are free and make life more interesting. We think twice before using the car for a leisure outing these days, although when we do it's a treat. We're thankful that we can afford to run a car so that we can be available for family commitments. Congratulations on your 30 years when you first dated Mark. (We keep that date when we first met special too)! Hope you both have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I live in an area that there are not a lot of cultural offerings like museums for free, but we try and purchase a basic membership so that we divide the cost per outing over time to very minimal. I think we won't be renewing any in 2015 and try and do a better job of researching and logging other options, hopefully finding some free ones, until the museums in our area transition some of the showings. It is important to get out and about. I just found your blog-I too am contemplating career change, but haven't gone all out to declare a date but rather see what materializes in opportunities. You are very courageous and best of luck.

    ReplyDelete