Wednesday 6 January 2016

A little bit of vintage.....

In my head I'd like to be on a spectrum between these two wonderful ladies..
Don't you love the way that she her 'look' is complimented by a 'natural' hair colour?
 
 
..and jeans with an oversized jumper just looks so effortlessly chic.
 
 
Unfortunately I'm way heavier, have inherited my Dad's super frizzy hair gene and my Mum's colouring (and I can't afford the stylists), so here's days two and three of 'life without jeans and hoodies'....

 
Day Two - dressing for coffee with my Mum in Worcester and some late afternoon teaching.  I'm wearing a soft denim skirt that's been languishing in my wardrobe for over 12 months and a plain wool jumper.  I tried to pull it together with the scarf and an antique style necklace (that I found in Bournemouth years ago).  I think the photo looks quite nice but I didn't feel comfy when I was working in such a thick top (my age - you know!!)
 
Day Three - dressing for coffee with a friend at the local garden centre, harp practice and several hours of internet admin.  I'm wearing a jersey dress that's easily five years old, a jacket that's close to it's second decade and a vintage peach enamel necklace from the 1950s.  Normally I wear a black jacket when I wear this dress but I wanted to go for a softer and more casual look.  My friend (and the girl on the counter in the coffee shop) immediately noticed and commented on my necklace.  This outfit was far more comfortable but I'm starting to wonder if I look a bit 'leggy' in heeled boots and leggings?
 
What have I learnt so far?
Don't wear thick tops for teaching piano in a centrally heated house - it only generates an unattractive 'glow'.  People notice my vintage necklaces and I have MASSES - organise them and wear them!  I may achieve a slighter more 'chic' look if I rethink the leggings and boots.... (Oh dear - I LIKE leggings and boots!)
 
Thanks for all your comments on my last post.
Continued thoughts, comments and tips would be really appreciated!!
Jx

18 comments:

  1. Fwiw I think you look great in heeled boots and leggings! My legs are always out though, I love a short dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, This is terrific use of your closet. I think boots and leggings are working. Don't ditch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you look fab in leggings and boots! And well done on giving yourself a shake-up, it's dead impressive on several levels. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you look great. I definitely need a shake up where my wardrobe is concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good. I alway find wearing a necklace and earrings makes people think you've gone to a lot of effort. I always make sure my eyebrows are perfectly plucked and shaped with pencil, it frame my decrepit face!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Strongly agree with others, you look great in boots/skirt. I'm in a similar situation, gave up work in May to be self-employed, I wear jeans and hoodies at home but dress more smartly to see clients. A lot of my former office wear isn't relevant any more, your blog has made me realise I need to review my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. heavier....where did you get that from if you are heavier I must be a walrus then!! I am a leggings and trousers lover ....so comfy and rarely wear skirts! However the red jacket and dress suits you no end and the necklaces yes !!!!!!

    keep well

    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Makes me want to go out and source loads of vintage jewellery. Not sure where you get heavier from, You look slim to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look lovely in both outfits and I love the orange tones in the second one, they really suit you. Necklaces are lovely too. I love the model's hair in the first photo, mine is the same length and nearly the same colour but no way could I get it to look like that:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love some of my older clothes, some times is stays in the wardrobe only to be pulled out later and loved whilst worn. It's nice to have the core items which will serve me for years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would echo the previous comments - skirts or leggings with boots look good, the orange tones suit you too. I'm struggling with trying to hide my ever increasing grey and am toying with going natural - the lady looks very elegant in the first photo, but elegant isn't something I class myself as these days! Your jewellery is fab - it's great to have some statement pieces to lift an outfit. You seem to be doing a great job thus far with your new wardrobe :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the top look, very confident. And while I like your Day two look, I love Day three. That outfit makes you look young, slim, and chic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like them both.... and if you have the legs, why not use them?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy new year Jan! You look great in this post and the last in the outfits you've chosen. Without being too personal I think you're slim and you look good in boots, skirts and leggings. I've this week got as far as organising my vintage necklaces etc. and have decided to wear more often even if I don't have a reason to go out. Going to the ballet tomorrow evening means I can wear something more dressy for a change. All the best with your new life beyond the classroom this year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Leggy is good!!! Leggings are great, keep wearing them! They are my staple now, I can't believe how against them I was when they first made a come back!! Ha, ha, I'm not of a certain age and yet I.glow most ardently when I wear too my to school!Xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I definitely need a shake up on the wardrobe front, but being less the 5' tall, most things just make me look frumpy. I think you look lovely, especially in the skirt and jumper, and yes, the necklaces are something else. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wish I could look as good as you do. "Heavier" dear Jan - I think not!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look fabulous in both of those outfits, and I love the red jacket, it looks great with your dress. My wardrobe has gone to pot since I left work so I'm taking this post as a challenge!

    ReplyDelete