Thursday 10 December 2015

Finally.... it's sorted!

After months of internet frustrations (which I won't bore you with).... I'm back!
 
The only good thing about thing about this enforced absence from the blogosphere is that I've had all the time in the world to craft for Christmas.  I've set my 'vintage' Singer up on the dining room table and almost every member of the family is getting a fabric gift of some sort on the big day...

 
I made the 16" cushion on the left for a raffle in October and Mum won it.  The colours are perfect in her lounge so I've made the 18" cushion on the right as her main Christmas present.  I'm delighted with the effect of the diagonal stripes and the smaller floral squares..

 
I've also made loads of fabric bags - which have cost me very little more than time.  (The Owl fabric was a massive bargain from Dunelm because I got 1/2 a metre for £1.50 when the sales assistant didn't cut quite straight, and the pink and beige stripes were a clearance piece from a fabric shop in France).  Even little pieces have found their way into coasters as stocking fillers...
 
So, I've got another cushion to finish (which is a combined house-warming and Christmas present for my B-in-L's partner) and three more bags to make.   After that, the 'fabric element' of Christmas will be just about complete!!  To be honest, I had some gorgeous fabrics for my birthday (a couple of weeks ago) and I can't wait to start doing some projects for my own home...
 
As for my 'no longer working' status..... I did wonder if I'd struggle when the days got shorter, wetter and cooler.  There's no worries on that front - I'm fine!  Over the last five or six weeks I've started to develop proper routines. Now I have regular coffee dates with loads of people;  I meet up with my crafting friend/neighbour;  I see my family most days and I can pour loads of energy and focus into the small amount of private teaching that I do.  It's great!!!!
 
We've also had the flexibility to have a couple of long weekends in November.  We spent the first one at the Classic Car Show at the NEC. (Probably not everyone's idea of fun, but Mark's silver car was on the Marcos stand and we both love standing around and chatting to the public about the process of building her...)
 
 
The second weekend was a romantic four night break in South Devon for my birthday.  This was the 'view from my pillow' at our B+B... the lovely 'Stoke Gabriel Lodgings' (in the village of Stoke Gabriel on the river Dart, near Totnes)
 
 
This post has ended up being something of a garbled set of 'November highlights'. 
It's going to take me a little time to catch up with all your news... but I'm so glad to be back!
Jx

11 comments:

  1. Glad to see you blogging again. How lovely that you're giving so many handmade gifts this Christmas, I've had a major fail in that department this year, I just haven't had enough time. I'm sure everyone will love their gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! I did wonder where you had gone!!! The bags are great. Very well done.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your vintage singer, I have to have a sewing machine close to me to feel complete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to hear from you I'm pleased you're back. Love the presents. I can't wait to start sewing again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back - it sounds like life has been pretty good :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah your back, my you have been busy and so productive, Its lovely to make some gifts they mean so much more I think, how lovely that your mum won your your cushion :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to see you back and that you are enjoying life so much. Sewing has been part of my life for as long as I can remember. As for car shows, they are not boring. I have a post coming up shortly about our MM, when I get round to sorting some old photos to scan. Happy crafting and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to have a catch up. I live the cushions-lucky recipients.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back! The sewing projects look fab :) Stoke Gabriel is lovely isn't it? I used to catch the ferry across sometimes from Galmpton, where I went to school. So glad to hear you are still enjoying your freedom :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jan..

    you sure made some beautiful Christmas items. You're very talented.

    thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving such a kind comment..
    Holiday Blessings to you and yours
    Sonny

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to see you back.It sounds like you used your enforced absence productively.

    ReplyDelete