Sunday 2 August 2015

Busy, busy, busy....!

My fantasy retirement had long sunny days, with plenty of time for harp practice, walks, crafting and blogging..... but my feet have hardly touched the ground since the end of term.
Mark and I were on holiday together for the first week, which was lovely but busy with car events.
In the middle of the week I received an unexpected request to play my harp at a garden party in Worcester next weekend, which has increased the practicing time and limited my time on the internet.
Then I had to get the house tidy for my Father-in-Laws visit.  On Wednesday morning the guest room was full of boxes and bags of stuff from school - by Thursday morning it looked a little more welcoming again..
 
 
My Father-in-Law has recently had to stop driving completely, so I went down to Oxford to collect him.  Mark and I plan to celebrate our Silver Wedding Anniversary with the family in Oxford in a couple of weeks time.  This trip was a nice chance to quietly sort out the final details... and take a trip down memory lane.  (Another blog post - when I actually have a 'fantasy day' and time to write properly!)
 
On Friday we made the most of the lovely weather.  I took my parents and Mark's Dad to Hidcote Gardens (a National Trust property on the edge of the Cotswolds).  The garden is designed as a series of 'rooms' so, even when it's really busy, there are still quiet corners and plenty of photo opportunities.  We had a lovely time...
 
 
I wish my borders looked like this...

 
I know that my cat would love a pond so that he could watch the fish... 

 
 Next year I am going to get my garden under control - I would love a space that I could be a little more proud of...

 
Unfortunately I don't think we've got the space for this kind of architectural feature..! 

 
Yesterday we went on a 'hunt' across most of Herefordshire to find a stone garden 'feature' for my Father-in-Law's garden.  He's delighted with an enormous old bowl - which is now sat in the back of the Discovery waiting for the return trip to Oxford on Monday.  Today we're going to park the car at the top of the racecourse in Worcester and take a walk through the city by the river.
 
To be honest - these are my fantasy retirement days too... because I gave up work to be able to offer 'relaxed' support to the people who matter.  Mark's Dad is 81 in September.  He's always enjoyed an extremely high level of fitness for his age so he's rather frustrated with some recent health issues.  This break with us has given me some ideas of the best way to be 'quietly helpful' in his new situation...
 
  I hope that you are all enjoying the weekend.
Jx

14 comments:

  1. There are so many beautiful places near you-those are my fantasy retirement days. As my parents aged, I remember the need to be quiet at first about the help. It was hard for my dad to have to rely on others for some things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although you've been busy it all sounds like the right kind of busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice that you went and collected your father-in-law for a visit and I bet he was so pleased that you took the time to go on a hunt for his garden feature. The sort of thing that becomes very difficult once you are unable to drive. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, retirement! For many of us, we often wonder that we ever had the time to work, but being busy is better than having nothing to do. I can't imagine ever being bored. Enjoy the quieter times when you can and the rest is just part of life. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Dad always says he doesn't know how he had time to work! Keep a balance between doing and being, and enjoy the space to do all the loving and caring things you didn't have time for in school. But you sound like you're enjoying everything so far, so enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that you are having some free time amongst the busy time. The gardens look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. See? That's what retirement is all about. Having the time to spend with family and friends and not worry about lesson plans. You will probably be busier now then when you worked. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not to use this method for morbidness--but I can not post on my blog--my son Mark, has cancer. It was kept from me until last Monday and I am pretty angry and unnerved. I think you missed the post where I asked my readers to e-mail me so I could tell them privately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Believe me, retirement is a BUSY time; it's not as working people think it is (or will be); i.e. days spent 'pottering' and so forth! We celebrated our Golden Wedding last October and husband will be 80 in November but once we consider ourselves to be 'oldies', then we WILL be old and, no doubt, decrepit! Husband is currently building a large wardrobe in a spare room, and I write articles for papers and magazines. We have very busy lives even though we've had health 'issues' (as anything medical is referred to today!) The only difference between working life and life after work is that you actually continue to work but you don't get paid, har, har!
    I had to smile when you said you took your harp to a party ... it reminded me of the Gracie Fields' song; but then, perhaps you are too young to know that one, tee hee!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS I love Hidcote. Last week we were in Somerset, on The Levels, and then decided to pop into Wiltshire to Stourhead. A very large landscape garden and Palladian style mansion, but somehow, even though it's grand, it didn't do anything for me. I much prefer garden 'rooms' as at Hidcote.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Having free time is lovely after years being tied to a strict time table. I agree with Margaret above - you wonder sometimes how you had the time to go out to work as there is always so much to do but you can do it when you want to most of the time. Hidcote looks lovely I've never been but it sounds like my sort of garden with lots of small areas and 'rooms'. Hope your harp playing at the garden party goes well and best wishes for your 25th Anniversary:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that the first weeks of the summer holiday are always a mad rush of things to do because you've been putting so much off until then. In time I'm sure you will find your pace and your free time will become more relaxed and enjoyable. Any tips for someone who wants to start playing harp again but can't afford lessons? Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is indeed a welcoming guest bedroom. Thank you for your kind comment on my todays post. We must be kindred spirits when it comes to books. Although I do have a kindle, I purchase the equal in hard cover. There is nothing like turning a page, while holding your book !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jan, God love you for helping out your relatives now that you're retired. What a wonderful thing to do. What beautiful photos you posted. I, too, need to work on my garden so I can be more proud of it. It is more weeds than garden at this point.
    Thank you so much for your kind words on the loss of our Tiger girl. We do feel very blessed to have had her for so many years, but she is still greatly missed. Thank you again.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete